Calf Management Worksheet
Calf Care Products
Full Potential Feeding
WE’VE JUST GOTTEN A WHOLE-LOT SMARTER ABOUT CALF NUTRITION.
The first 12 weeks
• Calves need high-quality colostrum to get off to the right start.
• Calves need a high-protein, full potential calf milk replacer made from quality ingredients or pasteurized milk balanced to consistently meet these protein levels.
• AMPLI-Calf® Starter, from 2-3 days of age until 12 weeks.
• Free-choice, fresh water.
• No hay.
12 to 24 weeks
We now know the first 12 weeks are not enough.
• 50% of lifetime height growth occurs in the first 6 months
• 25% of lifetime weight gain occurs in the same 6 months
Calves have requirements beyond those of maintenance. Additional nutrition intake is necessary for:
• Immunity & immune system development
• Healthy growth
• Lean gain & a lifetime of feed efficiency
Full Potential Feeding is recommended as the best calf nutrition plan to promote:
• Optimal health and growth
• Efficient lifetime productivity
• Achieving genetic potential
Based on internal research results, calves fed a full potential feeding program may gain up to 139 lbs more by six months of age and experience a 2.5 month earlier age-at-first-calving than those raised on a traditional program.
Purina offers a full potential feeding program designed to give your calves the proper nutrition they need to enter the milking string as early as possible and provide the profit potential needed to be successful.
STEP ONE – A HIGH QUALITY COLOSTRUM
Although a cow provides nutrients for calf growth and development during gestation, there’s one thing she fails to provide during that time, antibodies in their bloodstream. Colostrum “transfers” immunity against infectious disease as well as nutrients and growth factors from the mother to the newborn calf.
LAND O LAKES COLOSTRUM REPLACEMENT
• Natural colostrum from “Grade A” dairy farms with high fat levels providing immediate energy for newborns.
• The Only Colostrum Replacement licensed by the USDA regulatory agency as a single dose maternal colostrum replacement.
• Nutritionally complete with all the protein and fat of natural colostrum
• High immunoglobulin levels
• Highly palatable
• Pasteurized for safety
• A single dose fed within 6 hours of birth prevents Failure of Passive Transfer.
• Available in single dose packet and 40 dose pail.
You’re Assured of Quality and Safety
• Lab analysis: Guaranteed free of bacteria and disease causing pathogens.
• Each batch is tested
• Complete product traceability
• Potency and Efficacy backed by USDA
STEP TWO – A FULL POTENTIAL CALF MILK REPLACER
The PURINA calf milk replacers listed below are part of the full potential feeding program and have the potential to offer performance greater than whole milk. They’re specifically designed to provide optimal nutrition based on different weather conditions.
• PURINA® Cornerstone® 28
• PURINA® ColdFront™
• PURINA® WarmFront™
• Pasteurized Milk Balancer
Cornerstone® 28 Calf Milk Replacer
The Cornerstone® 28 formula was the first full potential calf milk replacer in the industry. Since 2003, PURINA has continued to offer new full potential milk replacers for customers containing proprietary technologies that help achieve a calf’s genetic potential.
NEW Seasonal Milk Replacers
Now ColdFront™ and WarmFront™ seasonal formulas make it easier and more economical to provide full potential nutrition to dairy calves.
INTAKE IS THE DRIVING FACTOR IN DELIVERING ADEQUATE NUTRITION FOR A CALF TO ACHIEVE ITS FULL POTENTIAL.
WITH SEASONAL ADJUSTMENTS IN CALF MILK REPLACER FORMULATIONS, IT IS
NOW SIMPLY MORE EFFICIENT TO PROVIDE FULL POTENTIAL NUTRITION.
NEW PURINA® ColdFront™ Calf Milk Replacer
Now, a special calf milk replacer formulation can provide full potential nutrition to dairy calves and help them face specific challenges associated with colder weather.
Developed to deliver optimal combinations of protein, energy and technologies, Cornerstone® ColdFront™ calf milk replacer is a unique formulation of the same great Cornerstone® that set a higher nutrition standard, now with an optimal balance of fat and carbohydrates to provide both higher energy and more quickly mobilized energy sources.
The addition of L-carnitine enhances fatty acid oxidation, thus increasing the ability of calves to better tolerate cold stress.
For best results, Cornerstone® ColdFront™ calf milk replacer should be transitioned into the calf feeding program 2 to 3 weeks prior to cool weather to help protect the calf before the cold weather arrives.
NEW PURINA® WarmFront™ Calf Milk Replacer
Seasonal milk replacer formulations with the weather in mind.
WarmFront™ formulas are designed with a unique combination of carbohydrates that are correctly balanced for when temperatures moderate.
STEP THREE – A FULL POTENTIAL CALF STARTER
PURINA AMPLI-Calf® 22 calf starter with proprietary technology is the key dry feed component of a full potential feeding program. AMPLI-Calf brand starters deliver:
• Higher protein levels to maintain growth momentum
• An ideal complement to the full potential calf milk replacers
• Superior nutrition in a more palatable feed
STEP FOUR – A FULL POTENTIAL CALF GROWER
Introducing our NEW AMPLI-Calf® Grower
Like AMPLI-Calf® Starter, AMPLI-Calf® Grower is a unique and proprietary blend of ingredients, now available to follow a healthy start and continue optimal growth from 12 to 24 weeks of age
• Natural palatability enhancer
• Immune modulating compound
• Unique source of fiber
It’s a discovery that benefits producers and calves alike with improved weight gain, smoother transitions after weaning, greater structural growth, optimized feed-to-gain ratio, supported immune function, and better rumen development.
Long View Nutrition Center studies show that at 24 weeks, calves fed AMPLI-Calf ® Grower *
• Gained 70 lbs. more (17%)
• Grew 1.2 in. more in height and 4.7 in. more in length (10%)
• Had beneficial rumen papillae development
• Had optimized feed-to-gain ratio (3%)
Contact your local Purina Animal Nutrtion dealer to learn more about incorporating our Full Potential products into your calf feeding program.